We have already got used to the diversity of gadgets flooding the handheld devices market. jQuery Mobile is a touch-optimized software framework developed by jQuery project team compatible with the majority of popular smartphones and tablets. It also fits mobile app frameworks and platforms like PhoneGap, Worklight and others as well as main desktop browsers, including iOS, Android, Blackberry, WebOS, Symbian, Windows Phone 7, etc. If jQuery syntax is you strong point, you won’t need any extensive research to work with jQuery Mobile, built on the bases of jQuery core. The framework is lightweight which positively affects the operation speed. The same underlying codebase automatically scales to any screen. Due to the HTML5-driven configuration you can start developing web pages with minimal script application. UI widgets are touch-friendly and platform-agnostic. Theming framework lets you create custom themes. To cut a long story short, jQuery Mobile gives you greater possibilities and more control over the application building process.
To make your web development experience more thrilling and efficient, we offer a collection of free awesome jQuery Mobile tutorials to study. We hope they will spur your creativity and help you find simpler ways of doing complicated things.
* * *
* * *
Regular newsletter sending is an inevitable part of marketing strategy for many companies. The method is inexpensive; e-mails immediately get to the addressee and may bring quick results, provided that all crucial points were met. Actually, newsletter design complies with general web design principles and is created using similar tools and technologies; however, the difference surely exists.
Testing a newsletter before sending is highly important; otherwise your efforts may turn to be a waste of time. Smart merchants test their newsletters in two stages, firstly for its marketing efficiency and then its technical side. There is plenty of testing software, you can install on your computer or use online, still main steps stay the same, so let’s highlight them one-by-one.
First of all, make sure that all essential elements are present in your newsletter design. Here follows their short list:
1. Read your subject line, it should be informative, short and recognizable otherwise the customer may simply ignore your e-mail.
2. Your newsletter should look attractive and encouraging for further reading even in minimal preview size.
3. Some e-mail clients like Outlook, Lotus Notes, and Hotmail don’t display images by default, so check your design without images, is it still worth opening? As a kind of alternative, you may include a link leading to the externally-hosted html version of the email. This way, subscriber will have the possibility to view your content despite the method of viewing and broken elements.
4. Stick to relatively narrow newsletter designs; remember that customers often view their e-mails in partial screen mode.
5. Your e-mails should contain permission reminder, people respond marketing information better when they know that they have subscribed to it themselves.
6. When the addressee knows and trusts the sender, he/she is more likely to open the e-mail. So sender’s details should be clearly stated.
7. Unsubscribe link is also a must-have for commercial e-mails as it saves your efforts and recipient’s nerves. If the person is not interested in your propositions, he/she will throw your e-mail into the bin anyway.
It’s difficult to deny the fact that our life is constant learning. Technologies go ahead with the velocity of light and some professions require constant skills refreshment to be in demand expert. This especially regards programming related specialties, as the field is aimed to simplify the life of community working with computers, which members are not necessarily office workers, cause we all know that almost all industrial processes are controlled by machine intelligence now-a-days.
Frankly speaking, it’s rather difficult for adult working person, having his/her family responsibilities, to enter college or university and attend classes on regular bases to get some advanced training. Major constraining factors are time and money. Even if your passion for learning is able to overcome them, there is one more important issue. We often sacrifice our dream educational institution for the one located in our city, within the convenient reach.
Looking back to everything stated above, online courses seem much more attractive, especially when they are free. Their benefits are obvious, but surely the option works well only for purposeful, persistent students, knowing exactly what result they want to reach, with rigid self-discipline and burning desire. So, if you recognize yourself in this portrait, let’s consider some main benefits of online studying.
1. First of all you are not limited with the choice of educational institution and can choose among the leading world universities.
2. Such courses are frequently absolutely free, so you get the desired advanced knowledge saving your budget.
3. You can watch the lectures, take quizzes and cope with assignments according to your own schedule, when you have free time.
4. You study together with a group of peers having similar goals and yearnings and can discuss complicated matters, help and encourage each other.
5. If you pass all assignments successfully you can even get a certificate confirming the fact.
This entry is not aimed to convince all skeptics that online education can replace the regular one. It is impossible and even dangerous to study some sciences online, as they are connected with huge risk for human life, like medicine, for instance. Here we speak only about rather short-term courses related to programming, which can really give satisfactory results. Their usability is very high, which is extremely important for busy people, having an urgent need or just a desire to raise the level of their skills.
Below we offer you a list of free online courses highlighting various aspects of programming, which will surely teach you something new. Be up-to-date, keep your mind flexible, and this will directly affect your salary.
* * *
* * *
If you think your e-Commerce website is starting to lose its profitability, it’s time to think about website redesign. There is no doubt that there will be many factors contributing towards the fall in profits or the decline in conversion rates, but there is also a good chance that errors or certain shortcomings in website design are contributing to the fall in profits.
Here, you might have a question, “If there were problems in the design of the website, why was it profitable earlier?” Well, the thing is, the expectations of your target shoppers evolve and they start expecting better things from your site. And if they find that your website is not offering them something they want, they will go to some other site. The options for them, as they say, are immense; so it’s imperative that your website is able to meet their needs and requirements to the T.
Image Source: blue Circle of people background – RASTER VERSION by Shutterstock
Redesigning your website helps you give a whole new look and feel to your website, but its core remains the same. The personality and character of your eCommerce website won’t change; all you will be doing is putting some new clothes on it.
There are plenty of designing elements that you can redesign, and the list at times can be endless, so much so that if you don’t limit your redesign endeavor, chances are that you will be building a whole new website. But you don’t want to be doing that, and this is why, you will need to prioritize.
Let’s take a look at a few priorities that are focused on improving your website’s conversion ratio and at the same time also help increase the loyalty quotient of your target customers.
Feel free to check them out!
WordPress Themes got revamped. What does it mean? From now the installation of WordPress themes becomes much easier. TemplateMonster has launched Cherry WordPress Themes that feature WordPress + Cherry Framework + Bootstrap Functionality! Cherry Framework is a software framework created by TemplateMonster’s development team.
The main features of Cherry WordPress Themes
1. One of the most important points is the Ease of Installation process. You get things done just in the WordPress admin panel. You can see it while checking out Installation steps:
- Go to Appearance > Themes > Install Themes and upload zip file CherryFramework.zip;
- After upload completes hit Activate button;
- Once again go to Appearance > Themes > Install Themes and upload your themeXXXX.zip file;
- After upload completes hit Activate button.
To make your WordPress website look like our live demo, follow 5 more steps.
- Go to Cherry Options > Import and upload the options.json file;
- Then upload widgets.json file;
- Hit Import Settings button;
- Upload .xml file;
- Hit Save Changes button, to activate SEO-optimized permalinks structure.
2. Extensive Bootstrap Functionality
It is integrated seamlessly with WordPress.
3. Responsive Layout
The themes you get come with several possible layouts.
4. Framework + Child Theme
These themes allow you to create child themes that possess the same functionality as the parent theme. You can modify them without changing the parent theme itself.
Of course, there are more advantages of Cherry WordPress Themes. Within them you get a bunch of powerful features: the framework will be automatically updated, you can choose the variety of post formats, content is generated via shortcodes, filterable gallery is included.
If you want to look beyond the words and see such templates in action, check out Free Sample.
Now let’s see the Cherry WordPress Themes that are in the focus of our attention today!
Effective mobile app development is about proper conceptualization. Yes, you can be as technically astute a developer as possible, but if the ideation behind your app is haywire, there is very little chance that the app is going to achieve any degree of success.
This is why effective conceptualization is called the foundation of a successful app. As can be imagined, this is not something that is easy and a great concept is an outcome of a lot of effort. You need to clearly define a conceptualization strategy that allows you to create an amazing iPhone app.
Let’s take a look at six tips that will have a bearing on the conceptualization strategy that you put in place for developing a mobile application.
It Begins with the Client Brief
When a client comes to you with a project proposal, the bells of ‘conceptualization’ start to ring. But, first, all you need to do is listen to what the client has to say. You must clearly and comprehensively understand the project brief, meaning you need to be very clear about the project’s purpose and its objectives.
There is a good chance that the client doesn’t have a very clear idea about what he wants. So, all he knows is that he wants a mobile app to satisfy a particular need or demand of his business. But the purpose, objectives etc. are not clearly defined. As can be imagined, this makes proper conceptualization difficult, so as a developer, it’s your job to flesh out the project details. You will need to conduct a comprehensive process of requirement gathering and analysis to ensure that you have a clear idea about what the client’s project, is all about.
This help you think in the right direction.
Researching the Market
Focused conceptualization is also a result of getting more knowledge of the market. So, if in this case, you are developing an iPhone app, you need to know about the market of iPhone apps and also all the apps making their presence felt on the iTunes store.
You need to undertake focused research about your target market, which includes the consumers of your app, and all the competitors. This will allow you to conceptualize an app that keeps the demands of the market in mind. If you know what you’recompeting apps are up to and also get an idea about their strengths and weaknesses, you will get an idea of what to do and what not to do.
Here, it’s ‘what not to do’ that counts. You shouldn’t make the same mistakes that your competition is making.
Since the date when the last highly innovative Microsoft’s brainchild saw the world, debates over its usability still continue. Now Windows 8 possesses completely renewed, modern-style appearance. Its Live Tiles got rather creative futuristic look. The operating system stepped away from traditional interface and replaced the start button with tile-based system. The design was intended to enhance usability and create a revolutionary interface suitable both for desktop computers and portable devices. We can say that the idea to hide controls and free more space for content definitely makes sense for gadgets with smaller screens. Unfortunately, the novelty faced a good portion of criticism from the side of PC users, complaining that their lives became a little bit more complicated.
For justice’s sake we should say that the owners of handheld devices have gotten used to hidden features and are always able to find the needed access. As to PC users it turned to be rather unexpected that they should click the right button of the mouse to expose the URL bar or the list of tabs in the browser. To make the back button visible they should roll over the left side of the screen, which is also rather confusing. So, according to usability experts, Windows 8 is frequently blamed for making some things difficult to find, introducing two separate working environments and creating applications with low information density.
* * *
Let’s try to summarize some main Windows 8 usability cons and make our own conclusions.
1) It’s obvious that Windows 8 better suits content consumption rather than production of the latter and performing several tasks simultaneously. Portable devices are more convenient for content consumption as we are not restricted by the limits of our office or apartment, while production and multitasking still stays the prerogative of desktop computers.
2) Surely, users can exploit different interfaces for different tasks, but it doesn’t seem too convenient as you should remember which app goes well with particular framework.
3) The next usability drawback is that Windows 8 folds all desktop apps into a single thumbnail. It is rather irritating because you should remember what is running in the desktop and go back to that app to continue working with a document.
4) Working with a mouse you should hover for some time over the upper left or right corners of the screen to bring up the Switcher or Charms menu, it slows down the user of course, but the fact that the menus are hidden and you should remember where to find them demands a little bit more practice.
5) Another issue with key menus in the corners is that they mess with scroll arrows in some apps. The scroll arrows are very close to the bottom corners of the screen and can’t be considered good places to arrange controls.
What about getting attractive holiday cards? This nice holiday gift is offered by Day2DayPrinting.com – online printing company with 25 years of experience. This company can satisfy the business and personal demands of the most exacting clients, offering them a wide range of online printing services from postcard printing to high-end annual reports. Skilled expert team, high-tech modern equipment will help you get the high-grade products like flyers, brochures, greeting cards, postcards, large format banners, DVD packaging and digipacks with wholesale pricing on all online orders. To learn more about the upcoming contests and new products, follow Day2DayPrinting.com on Twitter, or like the Facebook page.
Want to get the effective products from Day2DayPrinting.com? Leave your comments to this post saying what is your favorite postcard from the collection of Day2DayPrinting.com. The lucky winner will be randomly chosen by our editorial staff and get the ever-nice 30 Free 5” x 7” Full Color Holiday Cards Printed on 14 Pt. Recycled Paper and Free Envelopes, and Free Shipping. There will be only one winner, that’s why don’t hesitate and comment!
You can submit your comments till Dec. 14, 2012. You must be over 18 and US resident to take part in this activity.
All of us have heard a lot about skeuomorphism in web design as it has become a trend commonly followed during interface development. The technique supposes exploitation of familiar images existing in real life bringing them into virtual world, which makes the interface easier for user’s understanding. Designers simply imitate elements we use every day for certain purposes and place them according to the associated functionality. Actually this similarity serves aesthetic decorative purposes helping to impart certain style to the layout. All those textures, ribbons and objects can look rather personal informal and playful, that’s why skeuomorphic designs are really winning for games, blogs, journals, art galleries etc. They look very creative, yet cozy and the user, especially the one not on short terms with complex technologies, feels extremely comfortable in such digital environment as everything seems well known and welcoming.
The relevance of the technique is always the matter of designer’s preference and website designation as skeuomorphic layouts can be completely unsuitable for particular project categories, such as online stores and ultra-modern sites, where everything is focused around pure functionality without excess decorative details distracting the user from main goal.
If you are on the verge of creating a user-friendly website oriented on average visitor, our collection of free beautiful skeuomorphic Photoshop goodies will be exactly to the point. They will help you develop the design able to stir up the needed emotions and responses in users’ hearts.
* * *
* * *
* * *